Monday, September 11, 2006

As the World Turns

Well, the 5th anniversary of 9/11 (or 11/9 for my European friends) came and went. I steered away from mass media today, because I knew it would be full of either grotesque re-showing of the collapsing World Trade Center or of dramatic patriotic remembrances, neither of which I particularly wanted to see.

My grandmother is in the hospital. I won't go into detail here, but it's added another layer of stress onto everything else. I wish there was more I could do, since my mom is currently taking care of her mom, dad, granddaughter and husband (who is awaiting spinal surgery), while trying to earn a living. And out of her three children (my two siblings and me), we all have extremely full plates. My brother and I are in West Seattle; he, teaching full time, and I, finishing a home rebuild, raising two kids, directing a play, casting a film and organizing a move. My sister is in Bellingham, but she works full time to support her daughter and mortgage. Sigh... I guess we all send what energy we can.

We had our first Dining Room rehearsal tonight. It went well. It's good that I've done this show before, and can remember how we blocked it, what worked and what didn't work. I'm actually altering some things quite a bit (from the production LL Cool P and I were in). The cast is sound. It's a long way to the finished product, but we'll get there. The first step is getting everyone off book and blocked. THEN we can begin the finessing. Oh, and how we will finesse.

Spent most of the day cleaning up around the rental and over at the soon-to-be-ours-again house with the super. We walked around and I pointed out the odd issue here and there. We checked the lights, flushed every toilet, tested the hot water, turned on the new furnace (and THAT was a tense deja vu sensation, let me tell you). All systems go. The final inspection is tomorrow. After that, we can really move in any time. I have the cable set to switch over on Monday and a bunch of furniture being delivered over the next couple weeks. We're in the home stretch.

And now I must fall unconscious. My pillow calls, and I must obey.

No comments: