Saturday, July 09, 2005

Clever Title

We saw the naturopath yesterday, and he started Tyler on some mineral therapies to start balancing his brain chemistry so we can lighten up the dose of Adderall. Eventually, he won't need the drug at all. This is the same doctor we took Samantha to see just before she died. I wish we'd gone sooner. Like two years sooner.

Friday night around here is Pizza/Movie Night. We either get a take & bake from Papa Murphy's or the Safeway deli, or order from one of about forty-seven different local delivery joints. It's safe to say Seattle's got its pizza needs covered. The kids and I decide on a DVD that everyone wants to watch, and as the title of the event suggests, watch it while eating pizza. Still with me? There will be a quiz.

Last night we'd gone through a couple episodes from Futurama's third season when Tyler got bored and went back to his room for some console game entertainment. Kayleigh actually went with him and they played without major drama or injury for a good three hours before I finally put them to bed. It was one of those miraculous nights that makes me think "I can do this!" Experience also dictates that either today or tomorrow they'll be at each other's throats.

So while the kids were playing, I put in a borrowed DVD I'd been meaning to watch for a long time (sorry Jordan). Kukushka (The Cuckoo), a Russian film. The IMDB synopsis pretty much sums it up, so I won't go into detail. I will say I thought it was really well done. Recommended.

I've vacillated so often on the whole Fantastic 4 thing, I'm getting dizzy. First it looked like ass. Then the later trailer looked like it might actually be cool. Now the reviews are coming in and it's looking like ass again. I should just wait for DVD. Now Serenity, on the other hand, looks like all the brilliance of Firefly on the big screen - I will be there. It sucks my dad will not be here to go see this with me. He really liked the series I loaned him on DVD. Sam did too (it reminded her of a lot of our college RPG sessions). And after the huge collective sigh of relief at the end of the Star Wars thing*, it'll be nice to have some actual science fiction - well-written science fiction - to see. As the T-shirt says, Joss Whedon is my master now.

Dreamed about something last night, but can't remember it. Stupid water trick. I need to just mellow out and let the dreams come.

*Any negative Star Wars commentary should be taken as the ramblings of a jaded fan who grew up watching the original trilogy and thinks nothing could top The Empire Strikes Back.

No comments: