Monday, July 31, 2006

Out of the Frying Pan...

Specifically, out of the frying pan that was San Jose over the last week, and back home to our moist, green region of the globe. We even had rain over the weekend - huzzah! Now the sun is shining, temps are back down in the 70s and 80s, there's a cool offshore breeze, and there are are guys hanging drywall in my house!

I returned to face a bazillion demands, from the pleasant (Ordinary Angels production meeting) to the less so (sending my new hard drive to a data recovery company in CA). Just trying to get caught up with paying bills, keeping the kids fed and getting my house and financial records sorted out.

I snagged Monkey Forge as the name of my film production co. While somewhat silly at first, there are good reasons behind it:


  1. We are all monkeys.
  2. The reference to a certain number of monkeys with a certain number of typewriters will eventually give you the collected works of William Shakespeare... or something.
  3. I was born in 1968, Year of the Monkey in the Chinese zodiac.
  4. In Chinese astrology, monkey people are clever, skillful, flexible, remarkably inventive and original.
  5. The forge is the source of creation for that which is functional as well as that which is beautiful.
Thus, MONKEY FORGE it is. Steve Hartley is already designing a logo graphic, and I will do the text design.

We had a great weekend hosting my friend JS and his wife who are seeking refuge from the blast furnace of Phoenix AZ. I think they liked our trees. And water. And blue sky. And rain. And food. And culture. Plus, the UW has a good cardio center, so he will be close to a facility that can handle his issues. I look forward to seeing them again (in less than 20 years this time)!

Now to get my hard drives ghosted so I can reinstall everything on my work computer and get back to WORK. Because laying out a playbill on my email laptop is like a trip to the DMV... it takes forever and is annoying as hell.

Stay tuned.

No comments: