Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I'm Too Sexy for my House

Well, at least for any real progress to be made. Actually, that's probably not quite true. I did meet with the contractor on Friday, and met the guys who would be doing the actual work when said actual work actually commences. The permits have already been applied for, and that will take about a week, then the demolition phase will begin (probably early next week).

For anyone who has dealt with permits, contractors and/or city bureaucracies, this should come as no surprise. Add in not one, not two, but three insurance companies, and it's REALLY not surprising in the least. Hopefully we can move back into our home before Tyler graduates high school. [/sarcasm]


I think we need to deep-strike some assault terminators to do the house demolition. That would make for some good TV. [/warhammer joke]

Got the opportunity to see trip-hop vanguard Massive Attack at the Paramount on Wednesday with Steve, JD and his girlfriend Allison (who, according to my first impression, is a real sweetheart). Visually stunning light rigs - very cool indeed. It was unfortunate that the sound board was having issues getting a good mix. Lost vocals and obnoxious mic feedback. That said, it was great to see a lineup of guest vocalists like Horace Andy and Liz Fraser (of Cocteau Twins). Plus, it was their first show on the tour - one of only 3 US dates, I might add, all of which are west of the Rockies. So I can't find too much fault with some technical issues. I just grooved for 90 minutes on a great set with some powerhouse tunes and the ubiquitous white-raver-chick-freeform-dancing on the theater floor.

I was all set to go to Tacoma and shoot coverage of Steve's 1-hour caricature challenge, but Kayleigh woke up this morning with a fever and cough. So that was that. Just one of those single parent things that comes up from time to time - usually at the worst possible moment. Could I have gone to a local friend or family member to have someone here while I went to the event? Sure. But sometimes - especially when she's sick - a girl needs her daddy.

I did get my workout in, though. One of the benefits of living a block away from the gym. I've started a new program: doing an hour of cardio every day, with a light upper body sequence twice a week. I decided I missed being slender, and although I probably won't end up at 160 lbs like when I was 16 and riding my bike everywhere, I will be happy on the light side of 220. A decade of sedentary work in computer games and the last 4 years caring for a sick wife (or mourning her) did a number on my metabolism, and I'm kick starting it again. I should mention that my friend Dave Beach has been extremely inspirational in this quest (whether he is aware of that fact or not). On days when I go just prior to lunchtime, I get an all-fruit smoothie from Jamba Juice and drink that for lunch. Add in my daily vitamin supplements and about 1.5 gallons of water per day, and I'm already feeling better than I have in the last 5 or 6 years.

We will be locking in the dates for the fall Twelfth Night Productions show at Youngstown soon. I will be attending the next board meeting to deliver the proposal in person, but formalities aside, it looks like I will be directing A. R. Gurney's The Dining Room - opening in November!

1 comment:

LL Cool P said...

Wow, revisiting some of your earlier work, eh? Hey, do you need a DVD copy of our Haymarket Theater production, or did you recover that from your hard drive?

Fingers crossed that your house is coming along...