Sunday, July 17, 2005

Slacker Attack!

Well multiple posts for days, and then crickets for two days straight. One is tempted to think I've been slacking...

It just means I've been busy. Kids are taking much of my attention (as they should), and I've been dealing with a serious working over from the muse. Got the company website up, finished another two new Impetus tracks (looking at a new CD in a couple months), and got a concept for a short film buzzing around in my brainbox. Finished up the poster for Fiddler (as well as some flyers in time for the West Seattle Street Fair), T-shirts for Fiddler, and Kayleigh and I will go to rehearsal tonight. Yours truly is to be Nachum the Beggar. I'm wondering if I should go with a carboard sign that says NINJAS KILLED MY FAMILY - NEED MONEY FOR KUNG FU LESSONS. Best. Panhandler. Sign. Ever. (thanks, Conor) And I was a big fan of WHY LIE? I NEED A BEER.

Ron came by last night. We had Thai food, and listened to music, watched Justice League with the kids, and I showed him Sam's memorial DVD which he had not seen previously. It was a good visit - I really have missed his company in the past couple years. This is one of those friendships that survive tempers, tempests and multiple businesses and always bounce back. I've known him for 12 years. He was one of my first friends in West Seattle after we moved here from Renton, and it was through him I was introduced to several people I now call friends.

Finally got the back yard mowed - problem is, now the front looks like... well, it's pretty bad anyway. The grass union has hired the dandelion mob to make my life (or at least my driveway) a living hell. And I need to do some serious pruning on the trees. Also went through all the get well cards that Samantha received during the last few weeks of her life. That was tough. I find I'm measuring time in Things-That-Happened-Before-Sam-Died and Things-That-Happened-After-Sam-Died. I guess that's a natural state of affairs. I probably would do the same thing if it had been just my dad, but as it turned out, that was a Thing-That-Happened-After-Sam-Died. So there you go.

This coming Tuesday will be my last session with the family group at Gilda's. It's been several months of intensity, but I find that when I talk about Sam or my dad in group, it sucks all the energy out of the room. Others in the group have living spouses, parents or children to think about, and they need a modicum of hope and optimism. And that is something I don't have and can't give. I'll be showing the DVD in group on Tuesday, and attending the bereavement group at the end of this month.

I think I will join my neighbor for coffee this morning, find out how her film audition in Bremerton went...

No comments: