Friday, May 02, 2008

I'm Such a Chick.

I must really cut a surreal figure, this 6'4" Scots-Irish linebacker weeping his eyes out in the car. Decided it was time to introduce Kayleigh to the music of Tori Amos, and started on the drive to school with the first album, Little Earthquakes. I haven't listened to it in years, and it brought back a whole wave of memory, especially when the song "Winter" came on. It speaks to childhood and fathers and I just felt this really strong gesture from my own dad, just for a moment. True, the lyrics are from the perspective of a little girl, but the themes are universal.

Hair is grey
And the fires are burning
So many dreams
On the shelf
You say I wanted you to be proud of me
I always wanted that myself


What brought the Tori Amos thing on (and don't ask me how this makes sense at all) was that Kayleigh is learning some older songs to sing with me (and by "older" I mean '80s), and we were practicing "If There's a Heaven Above" by Love and Rockets this morning before leaving for school. The song is the opening track on Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven, L&R's first album from 1985. Hey, first album... you know what's another great debut album? Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos. You'll like her, Kayleigh. Very reminiscent of Kate Bush or Regina Spektor, blah blah blah. So that's how that works...

Speaking of daughters and music, we just made our first recording together. I was putting some acoustic covers on the computer, and when assembling Peter Murphy's "A Strange Kind of Love" I realized I had nothing to go in place of the oboe piece in the original. Right then, K walked into the office and asked if she could pitch in, and that led to her playing a very haunting Carlos Nakai-esque "wood flute" piece on Samantha's old recorder. I have only passed it along to friends and family. Because it's a cover, you will never see it available to the general public. But it was a pretty friggin' cool experience, and I'm as proud as can be.

No comments: